Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My Dylan Phase

In eighth grade, I went through a serious Dylan phase. I had borrowed Another Side of Bob Dylan from the library and copied it onto a cassette tape, which I probably listened to every day for several months. My favorite track was "Ballad in Plain D;" something about that song made me think about the girl I was crushing on at the time, and I'd feel this strange longing I couldn't identify.

I remember buying The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin', and Another Side, packaged as a three-cd set, at the Natick Mall with my mom. Listening to those three albums became my after-school regimen, which occupied the three or so hours until dinnertime. I wanted to cry whenever I listened "Girl From the North Country," "Boots of Spanish Leather," and "Ballad in Plain D." I didn't understand it until years later, that this was the first time I ever had an emotional response to music.

No comments: