Monday, March 19, 2007

Pointless Kvetching

I try to make it a point not to publicly slam other people or, in this case, other websites. Especially when they have little significant bearing on my life. I just find myself really annoyed by the Shmais website. Call it a loss of composure. Call it constructive criticism. Call it talking shit about a generally benign online presence.
Anyway, have you ever noticed how annoying all those ads are on Shmais? The page content is literally lined with graphic advertisements, mostly for local businesses. It's not so much the volume of ads that bothers me, but that they're all animated. Also, legibility is a problem with a lot these ads. Bitmap typefaces would probably help when the text gets too small. Better judgment would probably help when the text/background color combination renders the type unreadable.
It's worth noting that Shmais.com is a good tool for keeping up with the Lubavitch community; I find the simcha announcements especially useful. As a community bulletin board, the site is effective, if not aesthetically appealing.

No comments: